|Regions with significant populations|
Wessaxon people (also referred to as Wessaxons, or as New Wessaxons to differentiate them from the citizens of the medieval English kingdom after which New Wessex is named) are citizens or natives of the United Kingdom of New Wessex - that is, the Kingdom of Wilcsland (including its subkingdom of Saqqara) and Orly. Wessaxon nationality is effectively held by any people who consider themselves a citizen of one of New Wessex's constituent countries and are recognized by the King as being so, as only a minority (12.7%) of Wessaxon people actually live in New Wessex - while all Wessaxons consider themselves to be part of one of the realms comprising New Wessex, very few actually live in the territory claimed by said realm.
History and distribution
The United Kingdom of New Wessex was founded on 14 January 2012 as a political union between the Kingdom of Wilcsland and the Tsardom of Orly, with Wilcsland itself being a kingdom consisting of five different nations (Wilcsland proper, the Taklamacan, Corran, Thebes, and Saqqara). Orly, too, consisted of two polities which had once been independent states - Copan and the Grove - but these had been products of an arbitrary division of Orly, with most if not all citizens having retained an overall Orlian identity until the two states were reunited. It is therefore more accurate to speak of the Wessaxon people being a politically united group of otherwise separate peoples rather than to adopt any notion of a homogenised Wessaxon identity, which is (if even present) usually held as secondary to a primary national identity (Wilcslandian, Orlian, Taklamacanian etc).
The oldest that any Wessaxon national groups can trace their history back is to 1995, to the population of the Chiefdom of the Plains. The population of this Chiefdom had divided into various separate tribes by 1998, but were conquered by Nectombetec II the following year and united into the Kingdom of South Bank in 2002, with Nectombetec II being crowned King Declan I. The following year the population of South Bank migrated and transitioned into the Kingdom of Atlantis. The Atlantean population grew at their new site, and Declan I also became monarch of the newly founded nations of Saqqara and Thebes, both of which were formed in October 2003. The populations of all three kingdoms again migrated in 2005, with Atlantis transitioning into the Kingdom of the Taklamacan in October of that year. With Saqqara and Thebes now without their own territory, they became subkingdoms of the Taklamacan, existing as areas of the Taklamacan while retaining some form of subnational unique identity.
The first time a distinct Corranese identity became apparent was in the summer of 2006: Declan I had been deposed by Joshua I, and in response the Taklamacanian outpost of Corran declared independence, staying independent for over a year after Declan I regained his throne. In late 2007, Corran was given its own vassal king and accepted as a vassal kingdom of the Taklamacan.
The Kingdom of Moylurg arose as an independent nation in June 2009, also ruled by Declan I. Moylurg quickly became his primary nation, and in March 2010 it was entered into political union with the Taklamacan and Corran to create the Empire of Moylurg (renamed back to a Kingdom the following month, although the union remained). This new Kingdom of Moylurg, which was renamed to the Kingdom of Wilcsland in November 2010, is therefore comprised of Moylurg proper, the Taklamacan, and Corran, with the latter two not afforded subkingdom status like that retained by Saqqara and Thebes. As a result, Taklamacanians and Corranese are a lot more likely to think of themselves as Wilcslandian than Thebans or Saqqarans (however, Thebes had its status as a subkingdom removed upon the creation of New Wessex, leaving Saqqara as the only nation within Wilcsland with an officially promoted subnational identity).
The earliest recorded trace of the Orlian nation is in 2009, as a social group meeting at Sutton Green. By the time of the Austenasian Civil War (March - May 2010), this group had moved roughly one and a half miles east-south-east to the Grove Park. In early July 2010 a prominent member of this group, Calum, declared independence for the Grove in the name of the park's users, founding the Caesarship of Orly. This was divided into the Kingdom of the Grove and the Kingdom of Copan later that month, but by 2011 the two kingdoms had been reunified into the Tsardom of Orly, with Declan I as Tsar.
The UK closes its borders around Orly at around 20:00-21:00 most nights, meaning that it is not possible for any people to take up permanent residence there. As such, all Orlians (around twenty) live in the UK. Most Wilcslandians (i.e., practically all Wessaxons who are not Orlian) also live in the UK due to a lot of Wilcslandian territory consisting of various school buildings unsuitable for residence. There is also a sole Wessaxon living in the Empire of Austenasia, HIH Crown Prince Jonathan, who was granted citizenship of what was then Moylurg by Declan I on 17 May 2010.
Notable Wessaxon people
- Nectombetec I - Great Chieften and Chieften of the Plains. Nectombetec I is the first known Wessaxon monarch, having ruled what would one day become the Taklamacan in 1995. His reign had ended by 1998.
- Declan I, II & V - King of New Wessex. Declan I became Chieften of the Sun in 1998 as Chieften Nectombetec II, and by May 2002 had reunified all of the tribes which had once been ruled by Nectombetec I and founded the Kingdom of South Bank. Declan I is the head and founder of the House of Mac Donnchadha-Houghton, the first and current absolute monarch of the United Kingdom of New Wessex, and the current Emperor of Austenasia, as well as the incument holder of many other thrones spanning the world.
- HRH Prince Ciaran the Prince of Copan - heir apparent to the Wessaxon throne. Was King of Thebes between March and May 2010, and briefly co-ruler with Declan I as King Ptolemy II Alexander II for a day in February 2011.
- HR&IH Emperor Mother Michelle the Princess Mother - mother of Declan I and Prince Ciaran, and briefly known as Queen Arsinoe III as his co-ruler in late August 2011.
- HR&IH Emperor Grandmother Marjorie - grandmother of Declan I and Prince Ciaran, and mother of Emperor Mother Michelle.
- Laura I - former co-ruler of Declan I over Moylurg, Wilcsland and Orly (the latter two as Berenice I). She is one of only two Wessaxon monarchs to be customarily accorded the epithet of the Great, the other being Chieften Olcut II.
- Frances I & V - former co-ruler of Declan I over Moylurg, Wilcsland and Orly (the latter two as Arsinoe I Selene for a brief period of time).
- Arsinoe II Cleopatra I - former co-ruler of Declan I over Wilcsland and Orly.
- HIH Crown Prince Jonathan - former consort to and co-ruler with Declan I over Moylurg. Founder and Prime Minister of Austenasia, Crown Prince Jonathan is the only Wessaxon to live neither in the UK or New Wessex itself.
- Sir Joseph Francis, KCP - former Prince of Copan.
|United Kingdom of New Wessex|